Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rape Culture- Clothing- a call for modesty and respect.

I see many things going around the internet about rape culture in regards to how women dress. A lot of what I am seeing is making me angry. However, before I begin let me make a couple things clear:

1. Rape is wrong and awful no matter what.
2. It shouldn't happen regardless of what a women is wearing
3. I do think that clothing does play a part in it though.

Like I noted raper is an awful, terrible crime that I wish did not happen, but it does. A lot of recent internet stuff has shown pictures of females wearing clothes that bare about 90% of her skin, these pictures come with stories about how these women should be empowered, able to wear what they want, and not be a victim of rape. Great, this sounds idealistic, but we can't be completely fooling ourselves can we?  I mean I know that a woman can be raped regardless of what she wears, but isn't showing so much of your body just an invitation if not for a physical act of harm than for mental ones?  I have talked to guys about this subject and even if they wouldn't dream of physically harming a woman, if they are honest they will tell you that it is hard to have a conversation with a scantily clad woman versus a woman that values her body by covering it up. For that matter the same goes for men. Rape is not something that happens as often to them (at least if it is then it is not reported), but they should also have respect for their bodies. It is hard for me to concentrate when talking to a man when his underwear is showing or his shirt is too tight.

I am making a case for modesty here, but I am not asking women to wear Victorian dresses or men to walk around in three piece suits (although that could be cool). I am just saying lets all have some respect for our bodies and each other. Lets dress in a way that says we are to be respected in every aspect of our lives, and lets do just that to other people. I know this won't completely stop these crimes, but it also won't hurt anything.

Or am I crazy and idealistic for thinking this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A couple of rules and guidelines for comments:

1. Please have them be appropriate... in the langauge you use, your grammer (As much as possible. I don't expect perfection.), and in regards to staying on the subject of the post.

2. Be honest. Share stories and personal experiances if you would like but please don't share names and locations and such...I don't say this to be mean but to protect everyone here =)