Saturday, March 26, 2011

Broken cisterns and the living water

“My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water."
Jeremiah 2:13

Just recently at the women's conference I went to this was the them verse and it has not left my thoughts. So I thought I would share with you a little of what I learned there... So today we are talking about Water, Cisterns, and a Spring.

First off What is a cistern? I thought it was a big jar or water jug or something but I found out its NOT!  A cistern is a hole in the ground either dug into a big rock or stone or built out of rock or stone to collect rain water and looks like this.
Facts about cisterns. They collect rain water.  Cisterns were all different sizes and were a thing of prominence and wealth to the gentiles. Cisterns were often big enough for a whole community or even city to drink from. The water sitting in the cisterns often became dirty, stagnant and gross. The water was consider unclean by the Jews.

So God says in Jer.2:13 that His people have committed two sins...number one they have forsook Him and number two they have dug their own cisterns.

 Forsaking God. You know that's a concept that you think "oh I would never do that!" but you know I think in alot of ways we do, do that quite alot. We skip time alone with Him because we are just too busy. We don't obey what He commands of us in His word. We just ignore God sometimes...and I am not saying that this is all out forsaking God and your never coming back to Him. I am saying that in a lot of decisions and stuff in life whether we realize it or not we forsake God and dig our own cisterns.

 What does it mean to dig our own cisterns?? Well looking at the verse God is described as the spring of living water...what a beautiful description.
A fresh beautiful clean stream of LIVING water. Water is the source of life and the cleaner the better as you all should know!

We dig our own cisterns when we forsake God and try to provide for ourselves spiritual nourishment. We have some self righteousness going on. We dig ourselves a dangerous and dirty cistern and say "hey look at me! I am doing pretty good." Truth is though our cistern doesn't hold water. Its broken. We have to keep filling it and filling it and we are never satisfied.

Why do we stupid humans (even as Christian's who should know better) try to dig our own cisterns and build our own lives and save ourselves? We have a Spring of Living Water available to us, We have a master planner and a saviour. Nothing is going to be accomplished but heartache when we forget this and go and try to go dig our own nasty cistern that can't hold water.

So which are you going to choose to live with?

Yourself  a broken cistern which cannot hold the spiritual nourishment you need?





or The Spring  of Living Water guaranteed to nourish your heart and soul?

The choice is clear to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A couple of rules and guidelines for comments:

1. Please have them be appropriate... in the langauge you use, your grammer (As much as possible. I don't expect perfection.), and in regards to staying on the subject of the post.

2. Be honest. Share stories and personal experiances if you would like but please don't share names and locations and such...I don't say this to be mean but to protect everyone here =)