Friday, November 9, 2012

College: Its what you make of it.

I am currently a college student enrolled in a community college and for the first year of my college career I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could. I was slightly miserable and it wasn't because I don't like school. I love school! Why was I miserable you might ask? Well, there were three reasons, first I didn't know all of the resources I had at my fingertips. Second, I was a little ashamed of being at a community college and finally, I was not involved.

This year is different and I am here to encourage all of you, students. Whether you are in highschool looking forward to college, in junior college like me, or at a four year institute, or above. I think this information and encouragement will apply to you.

Do you know what resources your school has? Maybe you know a couple like I did to begin with? Or maybe you are scared to ask for help? Well, if you answered yes to any of these questions I have an assignment for you. Go to your advising office, ask around, and figure out everything that you as a student have available to you for homework help and general support because guess what? YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT! So you may as well go to the language lab if you need help with that five page essay, or the math lab for that horrible algebra equation you just can't get, or Supplemental instruction for a difficult class and so on. You will get better grades and learn so much more.

Also, please don't be ashamed of your school. Community college has a stigma...some of that stigma is true. There are people that don't care. There are people who come to class once a month if that. However, there are also some wonderful people. People who want to learn, people of all ages and all walks of life. Honors programs are not for the pretentious or snooty. Clubs are not stupid.

Get involved! Don't be afraid to join a club or two. Don't get overwhelmed and let it affect your grades but clubs are fun. Clubs provide opportunities for volunteering and friendships. They make college life more fun and give you some real life leadership position roles. Student government provides very good problem solving skills and a real level of control of where you are. Don't be the student that just goes to class and goes home. Get involved and have some school spirit! You most likely won't regret joining a club or SGA later on, but you might regret not doing anything.

So there you have it. Encouragement to go out get involved with your school, make the best of where you are and use those resources you pay for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A couple of rules and guidelines for comments:

1. Please have them be appropriate... in the langauge you use, your grammer (As much as possible. I don't expect perfection.), and in regards to staying on the subject of the post.

2. Be honest. Share stories and personal experiances if you would like but please don't share names and locations and such...I don't say this to be mean but to protect everyone here =)